THIS year’s edition of Mr Ugly pageant starts with Harare province hosting the preliminary rounds of the contest tomorrow at Club RTS in Epworth.
Among the 15 contestants set to battle for honours tomorrow is William Masvinu , the two-time title winner who is seeking to redeem his lost glory when he surrendered the crown to little-known Maison Sere last year.
Masvinu, a porter at Mbare Musika who won the title in 2010 and 2013 fumed over the defeat last year and caused a stir at the venue of the pageant accusing the judges of bias.
His argument was that he had defeated Sere in the previous contests and that there was no way he had become uglier than him.
Mr Ugly Pageant founder David Machowa, affectionately known as Apama yesterday told NewsDay that all was set for the provincial competitions ahead of the national finals to be held in August.
“The provincial competitions begin this Friday (tomorrow) with Harare being the first to choose its representative. The most interesting thing is that Masvinu is part of the 15 contestants who have registered for the event,” Machowa said.
“We have realised that Harare is too big to hold one event, so we have about eight events in different parts of the city that include Southlea Park, Chitungwiza and Kuwadzana among others. This year each province will be represented at a potentially tough pageant.”
The reigning Mr Ugly, Sere last year walked away $500 richer plus a ticket to the Mr Ugly World 2017 finals set for Zimbabwe.