Tragedy as grade zero pupil poisons 3 classmates


Three pupils from an Nketa Primary School in Bulawayo collapsed before they were rushed to hospital on Monday after they allegedly drank rat poison. According to reports, an ECD pupil from Mqiqika primary school brought powder thinking it was a jolly juice, a powdered cordial that is mixed with water.

She shared it with two of her friends who made their drinks. After taking it, they immediately experienced running tummies while some felt dizzy. They were rushed to Mpilo central hospital.

A teacher who requested anonymity for professional reasons said:


“An ECD pupil brought a drink which she shared with her friends and told them it was jolly juice. After taking it they started experiencing running tummies and some felt dizzy. As a result a teacher was assigned by the school headmistress to take them to Mpilo central hospital

One of the parents whose child was affected, Nomathemba Moyo confirmed the incident saying; “My child was hospitalized at Mpilo central hospital after she drank poison thinking it was jolly juice. After taking the poison she started vomiting and I was phoned when a teacher took them to a hospital”.

When B-Metro visited the school the headmistress said she was not at liberty to comment on the incident before she refered all questions to the provincial education director Dan Moyo. When reached for comment Moyo said he was yet to receive the report. Clinical director for Mpilo central hospital Solwayo Ngwenya said he was in a meeting.

“I am in a series of meetings, you better phone me later in the day so that I give details of what transpired,” said Ngwenya.

Comment with your Facebook